Scanning is a reading skills used to find specific information quickly. Scanning also involves moving your eyes quickly down the page seeking specific words and phrases. When scanning for information, you do not read everything in detail. You only look for key words or concentrate on certain parts. You also have a question in your mind and you read passage only to find the answer to the question, ignoring other unrelated information.
Tips for better scanning
* When scanning, look for the author’s use of organizers such as numbers, letters, steps or sequence connectors
* Selectively read and skip through sections of passage
* Try to anticipate how the answer will appear and what clues you might use to help you locate the answer
* Do not read everything in detail. Lets your move quickly across the page until you find what you are looking for. Look for the keywords or concentrate on certain part
* In the examination, you will focus your attention on the relevant parts depending on the questions asked